Pages

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

What's in a Name

My name is David Manley. I am a young Sierra Leonean student living in the united states. No, i have never been in combat. no, i have never held a gun and no i have never held an uncut diamond.

My name is David Manley. I have loved and i have lost and i can never tell you which was better. Yes i can talk, i just don't think you're worth the effort.

There has only been one Nelson Mandela, one Shaka Zulu, one Alexander the Great and one mother Theresa, and just like everyone else i want to make my name mine. Like everyone else when ever my name is mentioned i want it to be in a topic about me, that is my incentive to succeed. Whenever David Manley comes up, whether in my generation or the following ones, there must be no confusion about who exactly is been mentioned.

My name is David Manley, over the past two months, i have left school, started school, lost friends, made new ones, fixed my car, had it break down, bought a Wii,taken it back, become an uncle, found out i have two sisters, planned a trip home, canceled it and now I'm still thinking about it.

My name is David Manley. Yes i love the thrill of politics and i make no excuses for that titillating feeling i have when I'm in front of an audience, the absolute delight i feel after having convinced an audience about something that i had set out to do. I respect whatever audience i am privileged to address but i have absolutely no tolerance for the ignorant who are determined never to reason with words but are determined to be manipulated by whoever can make an utterance. I would love to think that i cannot be easily manipulated unconsciously the unconscious provision been added after having discovered that sometimes you have to pretend to be manipulated to keep the peace.

My name is David Manley. I am flawed i know, i have tasted failure not as much as i have tasted success, but just enough for me to hate failure. I get wounded and i can only take so much. Just because i don't cut back does not mean i don't feel the pain.

My name is David Manley. yes i didn't get to say goodbye, but that's because i know i'll see you again soon.

My name is David Manley and you might not want to forget that name in a hurry.

No comments:

Post a Comment