Pages

Friday, January 30, 2009

Let's break this taboo

There he sits moping over things he wishes he could change. I still do not get how one girl can have that effect on him. As his friend I have had to endure numerous conversations where he tells me how he can never be held to ransom by his feelings for a particular lady yet here is moping almost to tears for one and pining desperately for this same one.
Who is this special lady I ask him. With the hunger in his eyes burning bright, he tells me a story of an extremely likeable, exceptionally smart and overwhelming beautiful young lady who intruded into his world at a very early age and staked a claim in his heart by challenging him. Those early years were according to him, his observational phase of male female interactions so there was nothing he could do besides throw those furtive glances her way, hope that she recognized his interests and deny, deny, deny when the inevitable childish linkup was made.
We all had those childhood crushes I tell him, but there’s a reason why they are called childhood crushes. With deep soulful eyes he tells me that those were his exact thoughts until he saw her years later. The years had been kind to her. She was still good looking, still smart and still likeable. The only thing that changed was that he was able to look into her eyes and tell her all those thoughts running through his mind about the two of them, before she could respond, he left.
It seems fate has conspired to keep you apart then I say to him. Then fate must have a really wicked sense of humor because after some time it brought us back in touch, he tells me. Stumped, I ask him to tell me why he is moping then if he is now in contact with her.
He responds, during the time we were apart, we both went on with life. We met people and made promises that we are obligated to keep. He goes on to say, I still felt something when I read her name or saw her photo so when I happened to be where she resides, I decided to pay her a visit and explore those feelings that I had. Those feelings were either a childhood crush in which case I would clear out my head, or they were greater feelings than I had the capacity to address presently.
Now I was leaning over, my ears close to his lips, my mind massaged with thoughts of what a great love story this is and I wasn’t disappointed. He told me of the feelings that cascaded through his whole being when he saw her after a very long time. He could barely take his eyes off her for the first minutes that he saw her. Comparisms of her and a Greek goddess were not far apart especially as she had on a white dress with yellow (gold) trimmings. The voice was still as he had remembered, a soothing childish one, the face was still the same, radiant, daring one to deny its beauty yet at the same time possessing a personable manner that said I am just like you and I don’t have to pretend to be better than you. Every thought remembered was beautiful, every laughter genuine and every hand gesture graceful.
Then what happened, I urge him on. Nothing, he says. I left…again. Did you at least tell her how you feel? He tells me he did but he could not ask any more of her as he did not want to be selfish by coming between the relationship she already has. What did the young lady say? Nothing, he says…again.

That’s enough reason for your despondency I say. That’s not why I’m sad, he counters. What then is the reason for your countenance? I ask. Regret, he says, regret that I did not say what I really had in mind.
Let’s break this taboo, just you and I
I know I wouldn’t ask it if I were he
But this time I can only be a faithful servant of my emotion

No comments:

Post a Comment